Shofar sofar

 




















“Blow the shofar in Zion; sound an alarm on my holy mountain! Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble, for the day of the LORD is coming; it is near.” (Joel 2:1)


Hebrew Focus

The shofar, שׁוֹפָר, is a ram’s horn, and it is the oldest instrument in Scripture, sounded at Sinai, at Jericho, at the crowning of kings. The blast itself has a name: teruah, תְּרוּעָה, a broken, trembling, alarm-like sound, so central that the New Year is simply called Yom Teruah, “the Day of the Blast” (Numbers 29:1). There is the long, unbroken tekiah, and the shattered teruah, a cry with the sob left in.


Here is the thing to feel tonight: the shofar has no words. It is not a sermon. It does not argue or explain. It is a raw sound that goes underneath your reasons and straight to the part of you that has fallen asleep. The great teacher Maimonides put the meaning plainly, that the shofar is saying: “Awake, you sleepers, from your sleep... examine your deeds, and return.“ The horn is an alarm clock for the soul. And for a whole month it goes off every single morning, gently, insistently, so you cannot keep pressing snooze on your own life.


And what is the sleep it wakes you from? Not laziness. Maimonides meant something sharper: you can be busy and asleep. You can run a full, productive, exhausting life and never once be awake to God in it. That is the sleep of Elul, the drift of a soul buried under its own to-do list. The shofar does not add one more task. It interrupts. It says, before another day disappears: wake up. You are more than your errands. Turn around while it is still today.


🔍 Beginner Hebrew

שׁוֹפָר · shofar · ram’s horn


תְּרוּעָה · teruah · a blast, a broken alarm-cry


תְּקִיעָה · tekiah · a long, unbroken blast


עוּרוּ · uru · “awake!”


📖 The Pattern

A sound underneath your reasons. We are very good at talking ourselves out of change. The shofar refuses the conversation. A wordless blast cannot be argued with; it can only be answered. Sometimes what a sleeping soul needs is not another explanation but an alarm, a sound so raw it gets past the mind and reaches the heart. That is a mercy. God knows we can out-think a sermon and never move.


Busy is not awake. This is the diagnosis that stings. You may not be running from God so much as running, period, and calling the exhaustion a full life. The shofar interrupts to ask a quieter question: in all this doing, are you actually awake to him? Elul is a month-long nudge to stop confusing motion with life.


The trumpet in the New Testament. Paul reaches for this very image: “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you” (Ephesians 5:14). It is the shofar’s message in Greek. And he promises a final blast, “the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised” (1 Corinthians 15:52). The horn that wakes you each morning in Elul is a small rehearsal of the great trumpet that will wake the whole world. Every blast says: this is not the last one. There is still time to turn.

Practice

Let something interrupt you. Pick one wordless “alarm” for this week, a set time, a phone reminder, a bell, and when it sounds, stop and ask: am I awake to God right now, or just busy?

Reflection & Prayer

Yahweh, I have been busy, and I have called it a full life, and somewhere in all the doing I fell asleep to you. Tonight, let the shofar sound in me. Not another task, an interruption. Wake me, the way the horn wakes a sleeping town: underneath my reasons, past my excuses, straight to the part of me that has drifted. I hear the alarm, and I will not press snooze. Uru, awake, my soul. Christ, shine on me, and turn me while it is still today. Amen.

Extracted from:

Hebrew for Christians • hebrew@substack.com




DISCLAIMER:

The human red blooded "agent" blogger writing this educational information is not a medical organisation and cannot give you medical advice or diagnosis. All suggestions and comments relating to the use of supplements, equipment and instruction are not required to be performed by you and are carried out at your election while viewing this blog and associated links. Nothing contained whereininside this blog post or any other blog posts should be construed as any form of such medical advice or diagnosis or financial advice.

All opinions are my own and for education and/or entertainment purposes. Some links listed are affiliate links which means I earn a small bonus if anyone decides to purchase through them.

Thank you so much for your support, I believe in sifting through the dross to share the gold!

Please note that I am not a professional, in fact I am the literal opposite. I am just a bourgeois dandy Warhol out here loose on the streets. Things that I am NOT: a builder, trainer, craftsman, therapist, nutritionist, physical therapist, medical professional, lawyer, accountant or anything else that may be assumed.  

But I am a brainiac GENIUS my IQ is off the scale of being measurable, Im just not dumb enough to go for more than one university degree and HECS debt to get qualified in anything.  

I read books and usually two at once, 

I paint books, I tear them up, I annotate and give them away - I love books - S.H.E.C.CA Is my Art school baby my living library project.

I am a qualified Artiste.

All projects seen on my channel must be completed at your own risk and responsibility. Please see your own professional or counsellor for professional support. 

Do your OWN research AKA due diligence and be safe!


Name your sleep. Not your laziness, your busyness. Where has a full life quietly crowded him out? Say it honestly tonight.


Answer the blast. The shofar wants a response, not a rebuttal. Give it one: a single turn back toward him before you sleep. Uru, awake.


Step 1 of tonight’s worksheet turns the shofar into one real interruption in your week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No denture ZONE

Brainwashing n Scrubbing

Know your Rental Right and Wrongs